Bent Over Barbell Row
Middle back muscles require ample attention if you plan on enhancing your overall fitness levels. Although there are multiple exercises that focus on the middle back muscles, only a few of them can be easily performed while ensuring that you remain injury free. Bent over barbell row is one of those exercises that is not only apt for a variety of individuals but is also beneficial to amateur body building enthusiasts as well.
Focus- Strength in middle back and overall dexterity for your back
Mechanics – Compound type mechanics is applied
Force applied- Pull type force
Main muscle worked- Middle Back and beneficial impact to lats, biceps and shoulder muscles as well
Steps to be followed
- Start with holding the barbells with your palms facing downwards and then begin to bend your knees forward so that you can apply a bending force on to your back. While bringing your torso in a forward position. Continue this directional change until you can straighten your back (horizontally) to a point where it is parallel to the floor.
- Keep your head up at all points of time during this exercise so that the barbell hangs in front of you, this way your hands would be hanging in downward fashion while being perpendicular to the floor and your torso.
- Kneel down and try to keep the torso straight and then lift the barbell while breathing out.
- Apply maximum pull force by using the forearms.
- Squeeze your back muscles and pause for as long as you can.
- Return to the original position and do this exercise in sets of 10.
Do not attempt this exercise if you have a sore back or any other problem.